Friday, April 18, 2014

Faith

An article from the April 2014 issue of Stand & Shine Magazine.
Written by Marci Preece


When I was a little girl, my dad taught me how to play chess. I quickly caught on to the role that each piece played, how it could move across the board, and that the pieces needed to work together to capture my opponent's king. There was only one problem, my opponent was usually my dad who had much more experience playing the game. He could strategize and think ahead a few moves, whereas my focus was just to kill the king.

Over the years and with hours of practice, my mind could begin to see a few moves ahead, I could make a plan of attack, and get closer to taking my dad's king. Many of the my pieces were still lost and many games were too. But I was getting better because my dad taught me how to see ahead just enough to know that I had a chance at winning.

This is very similar to our lives. Like chess, we don't have the ability to see everything that lies ahead. We must learn to rely on someone else who does have the knowledge and experience to "play the game" or in this case, get through life with joy and happiness.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we know that it is on our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ that we must rely. They have the eternal knowledge, experience, and perspective that we need as we make choices and plan out our lives. It is our faith in them that allows us to access their guidance and gives us the confidence we need to move forward.

The prophet Joseph Smith is a perfect example of this principle. When he was fourteen, he had a choice to make and was confused with what he should do. He could not see clearly ahead the path that he should follow. While studying his scriptures one day, he read James 1:5 that says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." After pondering these words Joseph knew that he needed to ask God for help in making his choice. He showed his faith by his actions, finding a quiet place to pray. Because of his great faith and confidence that God would answer, He did.

"I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other - This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" (JS-H 1:17) Joseph's great faith allowed a miracle to take place. He saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. And they gave Joseph the guidance and inspiration that he was seeking.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "I will never get an answer like that!" But here's the thing. You will! You do! Every time you feel the Holy Ghost guide you or prompt you, that is our Heavenly Father helping you know what to do. The key is that we have to show our faith in our actions. Joseph Smith prayed. Nephi returned for the plates. The stripling warriors went to war. Alma and the Sons of Mosiah preached the gospel. They showed faith every time they prayed, studied, preached, worked, and kept the commandments. The blessing of that faith was the guidance and knowledge from God. In Moroni 7:33 the Lord has promised that, "If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me." That's a promise to you! To me! If we have faith, then God will bless us with power to fulfill the plan He has for us.

Some days we'll feel like life is a chess game - not being able to see ahead and not sure of the moves or choices we should make. But I promise you that God is always there. He has a plan for you and as you exercise faith in Him through prayer, scripture study, and obeying His commandments, He will help you see far enough ahead in the plan to not be discouraged and to know that you are His daughter with great things in store for you.


------------------------------

Need some ideas for a Faith Value Project or YW Activity? Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment